First and foremost I must learn to spell Homiletics! Apparently I have spelled it differently a few times!!
I. 4:1-6 ~ Putting on the mind of Christ frees us from sins grasp to live a spirit filled life.
- In this section I was interested in the word "arm" in the ESV, here is the definition:
- to arm, furnish with arms
- to provide
- to furnish one's self with a thing (as with arms)
- metaph. take on the same mind
It also reminds me of putting on the Armor of God. We need this in order to fight the battle that WILL rage. It says later in Chapter 4, that suffering WILL come to test (vs 12), so we must be prepared.
II. 4:7-11 ~ Recognize the time, be good stewards of God's gifts for his glory through Christ Jesus.
- In this section the word that interested me was "varied"
- a various colours, variegated
- of various sorts
We (as true followers of Christ) have received a "special gift", that God has given us (every one of us) to use as good stewards of his "manifold" (varied) grace. Without exception, if you are a child of God you have a gift, given to you by the Father to use for His glory. There is no excuse. We are also given the gift to be able to love each other, because as in vs. 8 "Love covers a multitude of sins". I also looked up "covers", it means to: to hide, veil, to hinder the knowledge of a thing. In Christ's death and resurrection we have a covering of our sin, and so our love continues that showing of God's grace to others. Don't you just love the definition of "varied"? It reminds me of a rainbow. God's grace is brilliant and beautiful, and has many different characteristics, and this he bestows on you and I!
III. 4:12-19 ~ To suffer for Christ is something to rejoice in, knowing God is the Faithful Creator.
- Under this section the word that interested me was "judgement"
- a decree, judgments
- condemnation of wrong, the decision (whether severe or mild) which one passes on the faults of others
- in a forensic sense
- the sentence of a judge
- the punishment with which one is sentenced
- condemnatory sentence, penal judgment, sentence
- a matter to be judicially decided, a lawsuit, a case in court
Subject Sentence ~ "Christians" share in Christ's suffering, entrusting God with their souls.
AIM ~ To cause the audience to understand: As Christians we no longer live as we did in the past. We understand we are different and live in the power God gives to be good stewards of his graces, know he is faithful.
I. Are you living a spirit-filled life? Do your unsaved friends notice a difference in you?
II. Are you using the gift God HAS given you to serve His body for His glory?
III. Are you prepared for the suffering that WILL come as a Christian? Have you been arming yourself with the mind of Christ through the study of the Word of God?