Monday, October 17, 2011

So long Facebook ~ Obedience is calling!

Well this has been coming for quite some time, but I have selfishly put it off. The deactivation of my Facebook account. Why do I feel I need to write such a long explanation? Probably because I need to be reminded myself of what God is calling me to do, and why.

Most people probably have no issues with time. They can manage their time well, and can control the things that try to undermine their progress in a day. I am not one of those people. I can get sidetracked really easy, and well, let's face it Facebook sidetracks me on several fronts. I find myself on there far more then anyone should. When I get up in the morning I say I just check things out while I wait for my coffee to brew ~ can't start Bible study until I have that cup in hand. Well a few minutes turns into 20 and viola shortened time in the word.

It's funny how addictions go. I am not addicted to alcohol, or drugs, but put any food in front of me or give me a Facebook account and I'm a goner!!!

Well God has been impressing on me lately (O.K. for a while now) that I need to turn it off! He wants me to focus on Him, and I truly want to focus on Him, so he's asked me "Am I important enough to you?", "Are you willing to give up something that you like and spend more time with me?" , "I have things to show you, and you need to be ALL IN, are you willing?" Well of course my answer is YES!! I want more of God! I want to know Him and the power that I possess through His Son Jesus Christ! I want to share that with others, and I can't do any of this while being on Facebook.

There is much I have enjoyed on Facebook, and other things I haven't really enjoyed.

I've enjoyed:

  • Reconnecting with old High School Chums!!
  • I have loved meeting and reconnecting with people I am of like mind with in Christ, like ~ Idella, Dianna Orea, Rhonda, Lori, Vicki, and of course E-Mom (but she's a bloggy friend too).
  • I have enjoyed sharing my faith and encouraging others!! (Even though I'm sure I've been hidden by a few (or not a few) for the same reason! But glory be to God I will not be ashamed, and maybe someone desires him more because of what I've wrote.
  • I've enjoyed connecting with family. It's hard to stay in contact with everyone and this has allowed us to connect. I will miss my 4:00 am (or even 3:00 am) instant talks with Judy, when we are both up.
  • I will miss the pictures I get to see on here.
  • I will miss the quickness of answers to breakfast from Diane and Patty, but we still have e-mail and I think we still know how to use the phone.
There is much I won't miss too, but I don't need to go into that!!

I hope that someday I can reconnect again. Once I'm through this time of teaching, and if I've learned to keep my priorities straight I just might be able to come back.

Thanks for the fun, and fellowship!!!

If you still want to stay connected come here to Scattered Stones (I think I'll be posting more) or my e-mail address is skjbvh4(at)allcom(dot)net.

Also our phone number is (616) 895-5689

Remember: So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. (1 Cor. 10:31)

post signature

8 comments:

Brenda said...

Well, I will miss you on fb, Kimberly, Jo . . . but I totally understand. I also absolutely love to see and hear about your faithfulness to God and His Word. You are an inspiration, my dear. Keep it up. I love you TONS.

Rhonda said...

Kim, you are a source of encouragement to me and help me to know not to be ashamed or afraid to let people know I love the Lord! You have also helped me with some daily struggles by your posts, videos, and songs! I love that I've reconnected with you and see how you've grown up in the Lord and how happy you are and what a beautiful family you have! Thank you my friend! I will be in touch! <><

Susannah said...

Can't wait to read more of your posts over here!!!!

e-Dad (a very social animal) stopped his FB account too. He just couldn't see the point of "wasting" so much time.

Frankly, I find longer, more meaty blog posts more compelling.

Thanks for letting us know about this big change in your life. :~D

Shelly said...

I too will miss seeing your post on Facebook. Several of them were encouraging.
Also, I do understand what you are saying about it being time consuming.
I hope all goes well with you on your new adventure.

Mari said...

I'm sure going to miss seeing you on FB, but I understand and applaud you for following God's will. It's not always easy - but is always rewarding!

Shelley said...

I'm excited to see/hear what will happen here and where the Lord will lead you.

2 Samuel 24:24 I will not offer to the Lord sacrifices that cost me nothing.

Salsa with Cilantro said...

Wow - that was such an awesome and simple way to explain why you deactivated facebook! Thanks so much for your honesty. About a month or so ago I deactivated my facebook account for some of the same reasons, as well as a few others (I had to laugh at the need for coffee in hand!). Perhaps had I sent a more eloquent letter to my fb friends (mine was quite short), some might not have been slighted by my leaving. It was not an easy decision for me as well (as a stay-at-home mom, it was at times my main social contact!). But I, too, knew it was time for a change, a refocus, a reinvestment of my energy and time.

Many blessings to you. So glad I stumbled across your blog!

Kathy Schwanke said...

Goodness, I have been so rarely on facebook, I was unaware you left. I was thinking about you the other day when I was running...then I just read your post about running. Way to go!!! I have not been able to do a 5K officially since they are always on Saturdays when I work.

God bless your surrender to Him. It is hard to curb facebook!!!