Monday, March 31, 2008
Sunday, March 30, 2008
Saturday, March 29, 2008
Zingerbug on imikimi - Customize Your World
Jeremiah's Word - Fag end - a poor or worn-out end : remnant b: the extreme end2 a: the last part or coarser end of a web of cloth b: the untwisted end of a rope
Jeremiah's Sentence - I fused the fag end with a match. (He used his Boy Scout manual for this)
My Verse - Jeremiah 10:20 My tent is destroyed; all its ropes are snapped. My sons are gone from me and are no more; no one is left now to pitch my tent or to set up my shelter.
Bekah's Word - Frost - the process of freezing b: a covering of minute ice crystals on a cold surface; also : ice particles formed from a gas c: the temperature that causes freezing2 a: coldness of deportment or temperament : an indifferent, reserved, or unfriendly manner
Bekah's Sentence - In the Fall I wait for the first frost.
My Verse - Zechariah 14:6 On that day there will be no light, no cold or frost. (This is speaking of the Great day of the Lord when he comes to Reign! Hallelujah! The whole chapter is a great read about our great King!)
Friday, March 28, 2008
Thursday, March 27, 2008
15 The LORD has taken away your punishment,
16 On that day they will say to Jerusalem,
17 The LORD your God is with you,
- For the celebration of Christ's resurrection last week! Friday night was a great service. Thanks to those of you who prayed for me speaking! I felt such peace before and while I was up there! I was also able to ward off satans attacks of it won't be good, your not prepared, your not going to make any since, etc... What a great reminder to us all of what he took on himself (our sin) and what was given to us through his death and resurrection (perfection in God's eyes). Thank you Jesus!
- Both Bekah and my test results came back O.K. My Peanut is just a peanut. I have been told by my mom and my sister Judy that Bekah's great-great grandma Minni Molly (don't you love that name!) was only 4'9", and let's face it I'm a little height challenged myself! My Echo Stress test came back normal. So apparently my issues are from being overweight and out of shape! (Which of course I am working on!)
- Frankly I'm thankful yesterday is over! Jeremiah had an issue at school yesterday! We have not had one of these in a while so that is a praise, but it is always hard when they pop up. I am praising God that they have been few and far between.
- I was visiting my mom in the hospital when I got the call, and I was amazed at really how calm I remained! That is a true testament of God's peace in any situation! Even when things aren't good, you can still feel peace!
- Speaking of my mom, I'm thankful she is in the hospital! She has very bad "bugs" as the doctor is saying, and her lungs are really bad. He says he can't cure her, but will help as much as he can. She was breathing better yesterday so that is a plus! I know God can heal her, I just don't know how he will do it, but I trust him, and he knows best! I just want to make the most of the time I have left with her!
- Thankful for the signs of Spring! I so need that warmer weather!
Thanks so much for coming by, go to Iris at Sting my heart to read about other thankful ladies!
Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Tuesday, March 25, 2008
Monday, March 24, 2008
2nd things 2nd! Go over to Sting My Heart and wish Iris a Happy 3rd bloggy Birthday! She is having a great give-away too!
Now a little bit of what has gone on this weekend!
- Saturday we go over to my mothers. Before leaving we put Champ outside (because frankly lately he has had issue that we are not happy with; leaving us little treasures down stairs!) So we leave and are gone for about 4 1/2 hours. As we are pulling in the driveway Champ is not in his normal perch on the couch. I say to Steve "we did put him inside didn't we?" That would be a big ole NO! The dog was waiting at the door for us and boy was he ticked! Also for those of you that know our dear sweet puppy, his neurosis, just got alot worse! He thinks we did it to punish him. How do you tell a dog that that was not the case!!!!
- Sunday was a wonderful Church service. The beginning of it was very powerful! After that we went to Steve's side for Easter Lunch! We always have a little Easter Egg hunt for the kids, and they all did very well! Grandma and Grandpa also got the kids a Dutch Chocolate V (ya know for Vander Helm). So needless to say our kids had lots and lots of candy. Jeremiah not only ate a small bunny early, he also ate the whole chocolate V before leaving his aunts house! Can anyway say sugar buzz!!!!! Bekah also was just a little on the hyper side when I was putting her to bed!
- Hey did I tell you that in July we are going to California! I am so excited! We will be going to Yosemite! I have gotten books from the library on this park! Wow, the pictures are beautiful! I'm sure in person they will be much more breathtaking! Please pray for Jeremiah too, he is really not looking forward to the plane ride!
Well that's about it! Have a great rest of your monday!
Sunday, March 23, 2008
Saturday, March 22, 2008
Friday, March 21, 2008
Thursday, March 20, 2008
While the sun's light faded or was darkened; and the curtain [of the Holy of Holies] of the temple was torn in two.
And Jesus, crying out with a loud voice, said, Father, into Your hands I commit My spirit! And with these words, He expired.
2And they found the stone rolled back from the tomb,
3But when they went inside, they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus.
4And while they were perplexed and wondering what to do about this, behold, two men in dazzling raiment suddenly stood beside them.
5And as [the women] were frightened and were bowing their faces to the ground, the men said to them, Why do you look for the living among [those who are] dead?
6He is not here, but has risen! Remember how He told you while He was still in Galilee
7That the Son of Man must be given over into the hands of sinful men (men whose way or nature is to act in opposition to God) and be crucified and on the third day rise [from death].
8And they remembered His words.
Wednesday, March 19, 2008
In an attempt to be a better steward of God's temple I have finally joined "Living Well Wednesday!" I step in apprehensively, but desiring also for God to have control of every aspect of my life! Fear of failure is real, whether right or not! Wanting to feel better is real too! I am tired of the way I have been feeling lately, and so discouraged. In a post from Darlene Schacht at CWO she said this that really spoke to where I am
Tuesday, March 18, 2008
She so enjoy's being in the kitchen. Tonight after school she needed to have blood drawn. Her first time doing that. He eyes got as big as saucers! I think I could actually see her pupils dilate. Anyway the doctor thinks she is not growing at the right rate so he wants to check a few things out. I told Steve not to worry, it's just a doctors chart!
Also tomorrow I go in for a stress echocardiogram on my heart. I have not felt all that great lately, and as of last Thursday my blood pressure was excessively high. I'm just having things checked out. My blood pressure has since gone to just above normal which is good. It's insane. My blood pressure has always been perfect. I feel like I'm falling apart physically. I need to get the lead out and start exercising again. I can hardly make it up stairs without breathing heavy.
I have been so busy lately! Hardly any time to sit and read or write on my blog! My mind has been full of all the things I need to memorize, and meditate on (more on that later). Anyway, Mari alerted me to the fact that today was Absolutely Incredible Kid Day! Well I have 2 Absolutely Incredible Kids to show off, so I thought just a quite jot on the old blog! Here are some pictures of my two sweet babies! Jeremiah is 11, and Bekah is almost 9!
I hope everyone stops by Mari's blog to see the other Proud Mommas! Also if you would pray for me this week! I will be speaking a meditation (not preaching, everyone) this Friday on one of the last words of Jesus. I could so use your prayers. This is not something I am able to do at all on my own! I so need God to show me what he wants me to speak! Pray that what I say touches the heart of the people and draws them closer to God and His son! Also pray for a calm heart and a filling of the spirit for me!
Thanks Mari for allowing us to show off our kids, and thanks for the prayers!
Saturday, March 15, 2008
Bekah's Word - Penultimate - next to the last
Bekah's Sentence - I am Penultimate in line at school.
My Verse -Genesis 33:7 Next, Leah and her children came and bowed down. Last of all came Joseph and Rachel, and they too bowed down. ( I always felt sorry for Leah. I picture her as a strong woman though to continue on even when she knew her husbands affections went to her sister. She wasn't perfect by no means, but I feel for her.)
Jeremiah's Word - Sodium Salicylate - a crystalline salt NaC7H5O3 that has a sweetish saline taste and is used chiefly as an analgesic, antipyretic, and antirheumatic
Jeremiah's Sentence - I took Solium Salicylate for my headache. (we had to look up analgesic, and antipyretic first)
My Verse - Colossians 4:6 6Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.
Have an awesome Saturday! If you live in Michigan, get out and enjoy the sunshine! Hasn't it been great lately!!!!!
Kim, Jeremiah & Bekah
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
Sunday, March 9, 2008
Saturday, March 8, 2008
Now that's not all folks! This year they added an open class race for anyone (mostly father's itching to race) who wished to race. Well of course Steve had a car, Jeremiah entered his car from last year, and little Bekah Wekah entered the car she won with at the churches Pinewood derby race last year. Here is the official standings, with the official photo!
1st Place - Bekah Vander Helm
2nd Place - Jeremiah Vander Helm
3rd Place - Steve Vander Helm
Are you wrapping your mind around that?!!!!! No it was not rigged! No they did not cheat! Steve is feeling a bit guilty though, he's having a hard time enjoying the win!!! But we are thrilled for our little peanut! It sure made her day!!!
So when you think of Racing Dynasties, remember The Great Vander Helm Dynasty!!!
Jeremiahs Word - Swidden - a temporary agricultural plot produced by cutting back and burning off vegetative cover
Sentence - We walked out of the forest into the Swidden.
My Verse - Romans 11:24 - After all, if you were cut out of an olive tree that is wild by nature, and contrary to nature were grafted into a cultivated olive tree, how much more readily will these, the natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree!
Bekah's Word - Proximo - of or occurring in the next month after the present
Sentence - My birthday is proximo!
My Verse - Luke 24: 50-51 - When he had led them out to the vicinity of Bethany, he lifted up his hands and blessed them. While he was blessing them, he left them and was taken up into heaven. (The Ascension)
- To learn to WAIT on God! I really love what God is showing me here! He is teaching me so much! He is opening my eyes to opportunities because of waiting on Him! There are many questions I have, but I know that all will be answered in time! I'm finding I have more peace also!
- To practice better hospitality! Each month God shows me and encourages me in ways to be more hospitable! Baby Steps! I still haven't gone to the Nursing Home like I want to. I've gotta grab Mari or Melissa at church to talk about some questions I have. Guys if you see me tomorrow and I'm not running around like a chicken with my head cut off, can we talk?
- To speak truth in love and stop gossip where it starts! Ya know this one is hard to gauge. I feel like I need others to tell me how I'm doing, but since no one is here right now I guess I'll have to. I have fail a little at this. I did speak truth, but I was not all that happy when I did, and the air was a bit thick in the room! Not good timing or attitude! Gossip (hummm), I think I'm O.K., I try so hard to examine my conversations! If any of you that I talk to see me doing or saying something that is gossip, please feel free to correct me!
- To pray for others more. To pray for the salvation of my family (extended)! Again Baby Steps! We have a wonderful Prayer e-mail list that comes through from our church, and I find I am stopping more to pray instead of going "I'll have to pray later"
- To take better care of God's temple! Failing miserably!!!!! I feel there are so many reasons behind this, but probably number one is my love of food, lack of self-control, and not giving complete control to God. I have to say I am worried about my health! To many young (relatively) people I know have died recently and I so want to be here for my family! Much prayer needed!
- To study 8 books of the Bible! I will be finishing up my study on Acts this week! I have so enjoyed it! I have loved getting to know Paul better, and really getting into his missionary journeys. I am so torn on what books to do next! I want to do them all, but I have to choose! I think maybe I'll try an OT book, like Nehemiah and maybe a NT book from Paul's Journeys. I also want to do a study of the letters to the 7 churches! Oh, I can't decide!!!!!!!
- To memorize 8 verses! I have memorized two! Isaiah 26:3 "You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast because he trusts in you" and Romans 12:13 "Share with God's people who are in need, practice hospitality" I am also having to memorize for EE so that will help.
- To organize all the closets, bookshelves and storage areas in my house! OK this I'm really proud of. We have this bookshelf by our computer that cannot really be seen because of the computer cabinet. I would just drop things there and never really look at it. It was a mess! I should have taken a before and after shot, but forgot to. I have to say again, it was a complete mess! Now here is the after shot!
Thanks for stopping by and keeping me accountable! Check out the other ladies at Extravagant Grace who are seeking to be intentional this year!
Thursday, March 6, 2008
17Sanctify them [purify, consecrate, separate them for Yourself, make them holy] by the Truth; Your Word is Truth.
Another Thankful Thursday is here, and I thank God for His word! I thank him that His word is true! That in it we find healing, instructions, correction, LIFE!
I am also thankful for:
- My son's first Boy Scout troop meeting going well! He seemed to really enjoy himself.
- I am thankful that earlier this week, we left the house a little late (God appointment), and were able to help a young girl who had missed the bus! (She was only in the 5th grade, and was home alone, that is another story for another time). I just know that God has us there to help her. Otherwise she would have never made it to school on time. It was a cold morning, and she had a long way to walk.
- I am thankful for the sun shining the last few days, and alot of the snow is melting!
- I'm thankful for thoughts of Spring!
- I'm thankful for my husbands job. So much is uncertain these days!
- I am thankful for our upcoming trip to California to visit Steve's brother! We got a great deal on tickets, and are looking forward to July 19th!! Well all of us except Jeremiah, he's not to hip on airplanes, but he'll just have to get over that!
- I've been thankful this week for the Cardinals singing outside my bedroom window in the morning!
Thanks for stopping by! Stop on over at: Sting My Heart to see others who are thankful too!
The other day I was reading an article in the "Today's Christian" magazine. It is called the "Persecution Report", and it speaks of persecution of believers around the world. The article was about a man in Turkmenistan (has anyone ever heard of this place?!). Long story short he was arrested in March of 2007 by the secret police, charged with illegally crossing the border in 2001. He was sentenced to 3 years in a labor camp this spring. He has a wife and 5 children who will be without their father. In the last paragraph it says "Although church growth has stabilized over the last 4 or 5 years, the number of believers continues to increase steadily."
As most of you know I've been reading in the book of Acts lately. Acts starts out with persecution (after the Holy Spirit's arrival of course). The new Christians are persecuted - they escape, go to another place and preach the gospel. In just about every chapter it mentions some kind of persecution, usually lead by some very angry Jews! SIDE NOTE: I am amazed at how anger can turn people towards violence, when hearing truth!
Paul did not flee in the face of persecution! In fact in Chapter 21 his disciples try to talk him out of going to Jerusalem because the Holy Spirit told them he would be jailed. Paul knowing this already sets out with determination! He was willing to suffer for the gospel of Christ!
This got me thinking. Are we ready and willing to be persecuted for the cause of Christ?! Here we sit in the wealthiest country on this planet, with all our stuff around us, while across the sea there are many Christians who are being imprisoned or being killed for the cause of Christ. Do we realize that things for us are not going to get better, but worse! In this upcoming election God's person will get in! He has a plan for the future, and it calls for things to get worse before we will see the Lord's return! Are we prepared, or has our wealth made us apathetic? I am reminded again of the verses I used yesterday from Ephesians 5:
13But everything exposed by the light becomes visible, 14for it is light that makes everything visible. This is why it is said: "Wake up, O sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you." 15Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, 16making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.
I do not say what I say to scare people, but to rouse them to action! Know the Word of God! Be prepared in season and out, as it says in:
2 Timothy 4:1-3
1In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: 2Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. 3For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.
We need to be prepared and we need to prepare our children! Let's not be so comfortable that we are surprised when persecution starts! It will, but WE WIN! Praise God!
Wednesday, March 5, 2008
I think the retreat went great! I work with a wonderful group of Christ loving, and Christ serving women, who love Children and want to serve the Lord! We had a wonderful home that was opened up to us, and we were made to feel right at home! These retreats are days that we set aside to pray and discuss where we feel the Lord is directing us in our roles at Lighthouse Community Church.
God laid it on one heart to challenge the rest of us to pray for:
The church body to become full of passion
The leadership to be passionate for these kids
The kids to be passionate about God's Word
I believe we came away from the retreat knowing that God wants us to diligently teach our children, starting in the home, and being encouraged and supported at church!
I read from Deuteronomy 6,
4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. [a] 5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates
and had other passages in Duet. to read but God brought me to Eph 6:4 Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.
While there I looked over and saw this verse:
Eph 5:14 for it is light that makes everything visible. This is why it is said:
"Wake up, O sleeper,
rise from the dead,
and Christ will shine on you."
I saw this and then thought to read around it, so as not to take it out of context. Here is the context from verse 8-20:
8For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light 9(for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) 10and find out what pleases the Lord. 11Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. 12For it is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. 13But everything exposed by the light becomes visible, 14for it is light that makes everything visible. This is why it is said: "Wake up, O sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you."
15Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, 16making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. 17Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is. 18Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit. 19Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, 20always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
We the church and parents need to wake up! We are living in increasingly evil times! Our children are bombarded everyday with all types of evil things in school, on TV, possibly even in our homes! We need to make a point of knowing God, knowing His word, and being authentic in our life!
We as the Children's Ministries of Lighthouse and as parents pledge to be faithful to God in all He calls us to do! That's really it in a nutshell! Now comes the part of putting feet to the words!
Tuesday, March 4, 2008
Here are the rules:
1. List five kind things you do for yourself. List five kind things you do for your closest friend, partner or child. List five kind things you have done for a stranger.
2. Tag five people.
Five kind things I do for myself:
1) Once a year I go up to Traverse City
2) I spend time with God just about every morning
3) I make myself a good cup of coffee
4) I blog and read blogs
5) I stop to enjoy beautiful sunrises and sunsets
Five kind things I do for my husband:
1) I make his lunch every morning
2)I make him Omelettes on Saturday, unless we are both too busy
3) I tell him what a great husband and father he is
4) I keep his life interesting (how can it not be with a wound up piece of work like me)
5) We laugh alot together
Five kind things I have done for a stranger:
1) Pray for them
2) Smile at them
3) Sponsor a child in Haiti
4) Open the doors for them
5) Welcome them
I don't know who to tag, but if you would like to think about being kind to yourself, someone you love and showing God's love to strangers, I'd love to see your post!
Saturday, March 1, 2008
Jeremiah's word - Remiss - 1 : negligent in the performance of work or duty : careless 2 : showing neglect or inattention : lax
Sentence - I am remiss in Computer Lab.
Verse - Psalms 119:16 I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.
Bekah's Word - Nitty Gritty - what is essential and basic : specific practical details
Sentence - Animals are nitty gritty to my life!
Verse - Psalms 119: 93 I will never forget your precepts, for by them you have preserved my life.
Have a great Saturday!
Kim, Jeremiah and Bekah