Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Call me Hephzibah

There are times in our lives when we are a new creation. The first being when we are conceived(Psalm 139:13-16). The second when we accept the gift of salvation through Jesus Christ(2 Corinthians 5:17), and the third when God does a trans formative work in your life.
Today in our study of Isaiah in Bible Study Fellowship, we studied Isaiah 62. In this chapter Isaiah is prophesying about the transformation of Zion from a Forsaken and Desolate place to a place called Hephzibah (My Delight is in her) and Beulah (your land shall be married). God has shown them who they are (rebellious children); and what they've done (continually sinned against God, worshiped idols, and denied God's control). He reminds them to look back and see what God has done for them and now hear what God will do in the future. God was going to make Zion beautiful again! He was not only going to restore Israel, but give a double portion (Isaiah 61:7) of grace to them.
We discussed in small group the other times when names were changed: Abram to Abraham; Sarai to Sarah; Jacob to Israel; Simeon to Peter; Saul to Paul. When each of these people were given a new name God did an amazing work in them. Abram was a pagan; Abraham a God follower and a man of faith; Sarai was barren; Sarah fruitful and a mother of many nations; Jacob wrestled with God; Israel rendered himself to God; Simeon was weak; Peter became a rock; Saul was a murderer of Christians; Paul was a messenger of the Good News to Christians.
When a name was changed it signified a person transformed by God.
This touched me in a profound way. I desire to be used of God for his glory. I believe he is doing a trans formative work in my life as well. This year in BSF God has shown me again and again His Sovereignty, and how all things (good and bad) work together for the good of those who love Him. There have been many lessons, but in those lessons, best of all has been a transformation of my heart!
I am blessed beyond measure and now more then ever I desire to do God's will, whatever that may be. He has redeemed me and called me by name, I am His (Isaiah 43:1). I am precious in His eyes and honored, and He loves me (Isaiah 43:4)!! So that being said:
Call me Hephzibah!
For I am a life that was changed and His delight is in me!!!!!
What would your name be?
post signature

2 comments:

Mari said...

What a great lesson! I also like your name. She's rarely heard about and I enjoyed learning about her in the Chronicles of the Kings. I've never thought about what my name would be - that'll take some time!

B His Girl said...

I loved this in Isaiah this week also Kim. b