Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Spinning wheels got to go round!

I've been listening and watching Hersey in his spinning ball lately! I never thought I would have so much fun watching a Hamster! It really makes me laugh! That little bugger can really get that thing going! But do you know what, he doesn't get anywhere!


Do you ever feel like that? Your running around and around, stop, look and doggoneit your still in the same place you were. I feel like that alot! I feel like I have all this stuff I'm doing and where is it getting me? Is it really important in the larger scheme of things? Am I that much further in my walk with the Lord? If I am not moving forward in Christ am I backsliding? I want to move from where I'm at, closer to where He wants me to be!

Ecclesiastes is one of my favorite books in the Bible. People are always shocked at that, because they think it is such a dreary book. I don't see it as dreary. I see it as what life can be without a close relationship to God. Solomon had all the wisdom! God gave it to him! An awesome thing to ask for, maybe. Solomon says in chapter 1:18 "For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief." But Solomon did not remain close to God. He did not use his wisdom wisely. It's like I sometimes say to my son "You may be smart, but you are not very wise". Solomon strayed from God.
He begins the book saying this:
Ecclesiastes 1:4-9
Generations come and generations go,
but the earth remains forever.
The sun rises and the sun sets,
and hurries back to where it rises.
The wind blows to the south
and turns to the north;
round and round it goes,
ever returning on its course.
All streams flow into the sea,
yet the sea is never full.
To the place the streams come from,
there they return again.
All things are wearisome,
more than one can say.
The eye never has enough of seeing,
nor the ear its fill of hearing.
What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
I hope I haven't depressed anyone that is not the reason for this post! It just came to mind how we all tend to work so hard on the things of the natural world and neglect the things of the invisible world. All that is in the natural ceases to be, what we build for eternity will be the only thing that last! We will not be spinning our wheels if we concentrate on the eternal. Here is how Solomon ends this book:
Ecclesiastes 12:13
Now all has been heard;
here is the conclusion of the matter:
Fear God and keep his commandments,
for this is the whole duty of man.

8 comments:

Suzie said...

I'm a big fan of Ecclesiastes too but hamsters....not so much. :) Nick used to have one named George that got passed down to Leanne. The only time he spun on his wheel was in the middle of the night when Leanne was trying to sleep. I used to tell her George may not be a George afterall but maybe a *Georgene*. If so it would explain why the girl didn't have enough time during the day to get her exercise in! LOL!

Great post Kim!

Diane said...

Amen! Great post!!!

Cherdecor said...

My husband loves the book of Ecclesiastes. He says that one cannot understand it until that are at least 50 years old. =)

Proof of the water cycle is found in these verses. I remember when I taught school, how God planned the water cycle and proof in these verses.

Mari said...

I have always enjoyed Ecclesiastes too. I enjoyed your "spin" on it connected to Hersery!

Mocha with Linda said...

This post didn't depress me. . . IT'S MAKING ME NUTS! Becuase now I have the stupid Spinning Wheels song going round and round on my brain. Thank you soooo much, my friend! Argghh!!

Beth in NC said...

I didn't find this depressing at all. It is a great point. We need to focus on the eternal and constantly move forward -- our eyes on Jesus.

Susannah said...

I've been pondering this myself lately: All that is in the natural ceases to be, what we build for eternity will be the only thing that last! Maybe a post???

I love watching hamsters spinning... they're so cute! :~D

Denise said...

Fantastic post.