Tuesday, December 29, 2009

My Verses for 2009!

Starting with the Acronym RENEW that Beth gave us, I waded into the thing called memorization with not alot of hope that I would do very well. Good way to start right!! One of the things I've learned this year is: God wants us to know him and one of the best ways to know him is to know his word, and he will give you what you need to accomplish this task.

So I began with a small verse that I needed:

Exodus 14:14

The Lord will fight for you, you need only to be still. (Waiting on God and being still has always been an issue for me, so I thought that this was a good one to start with)

The next one I memorized was the Hebrew 10:23-25 passage that I mentioned in the previous post.

Isaiah 33:6

He will be the sure foundation of your times. A rich store of salvation, wisdom and knowledge. The fear of the Lord is the key to this treasure. (This passage means alot to me because of the uncertainty of our times, and the state of the economy here in the USA and the world. When all around us is falling apart, we can trust in the sure foundation.)

Proverbs 30:7 & 8

Two things I ask of you, Oh Lord, do not refuse me before I die. Keep falsehood and lies from from me, give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. (Again God's provisions were one of the reasons I choose these verses. Also I needed to keep my priorities straight, who is my one priority - Christ, who is my daily bread.)

I Corinthians 6: 12 & 13

Everything is permissible for me, but not everything is beneficial, Everything is permissible for me but I will not be mastered by anything. Food for the stomach and the stomach for food, but God will destroy them both. The body was not meant for sexual immorality but for the Lord and the Lord for the body. (This passage was one I used and continue to need in my ever present struggle with weight. Along with realizing that I made a covenant with God to be healthier.)

2 Corinthians 10: 3-5

For though we live in this world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of this world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God and take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. (This passage was to remind me that I have power that does not come from me. That we have weapons that the world does not have! We can have victory over our foes!!)

John 6:27

Do not work for food that spoils but food that endures unto eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. On Him the father has placed his seal of approval. (This again was a verse to help me in my struggle with weight. I need to focus of spiritual food, not physical food.)

Jeremiah 9: 23 & 24

This is what the Lord says:

Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom, or the strong man boast of his strength, or the rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boast boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on the earth, for in these I delight. ( these verses encouraged me to KNOW God. To recognize who he is and that he wants me to know him, and will answer that quest with a resounding YES!)

1 Chronicles 28:9

And you my son Solomon, acknowledge the God of your father and serve him with wholehearted devotion and a willing mind, for the Lord searches every heart and understands every motive behind the thoughts. If you seek him he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, He will reject you forever. (God knows my heart and my motives. I cannot hide anything from him. I need to seek him, not out of obligation or routine, but out of devotion and with a willing mind.)

I will post the rest tomorrow. Counting down to 2010! I hope and pray that I can continue to add to the list of verses that God is using to transform my heart and mind into a better reflection of his son!

post signature

2 comments:

eph2810 said...

As I get older, I realize that I have to rely on the strength from God. I really like your verses from 2009 - especially the last one. He does know our heart :)

Thank you for sharing these verses with us.

May our Lord and Savior continue to guide our hearts and minds in 2010.

Susannah said...

More wonderful verses!!! (LOL, I commented on your second list first.)

I too found this a comfort during the worst of the economic crisis: He will be the sure foundation of your times. A rich store of salvation, wisdom and knowledge. The fear of the Lord is the key to this treasure.

Also, I love this one because God knows we are tempted in so many areas. Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom, or the strong man boast of his strength, or the rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boast boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on the earth, for in these I delight. So let us boast in the LORD!

I enjoy your love of Scripture Kim. :~D