Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A study of the Letters to the 7 churches

While studying Matthew 23, and the 7 woes which are found there, I remembered the Letters to the 7 Churches in Revelations 2 & 3, and how they somewhat parallel each other. I decided to do a little study of them and do 7 posts, one for each church. Here is this post I want to begin with some of the things that stood out to me as I read these letters. I hope that through these posts you grow in your desire to know and love the Lord more and more each day.

Things that fascinated me about the 7 letters:

  1. These were written to "The Angel of the church of". I wondered who this would be, would this be an actual angel, or someone earthly. I looked up the definition in Strong's and it said: angel, messenger, envoy, one who is sent, a messenger from God.
  2. After the introduction of the church, Christ describes himself. It is a different description when speaking to each church.
  3. He ends each letter with the word "To the one who conquers" and then describes what they will receive.
  4. Each church receives a commendation and rebuke, except for 2, who only receive a rebuke, and a stiff one at that!
  5. There are two churches that appear to be suffering churches.
One of my fears for us as "the Church" today, is that more often then not I see us in these churches. I hope that we are not so much like the two churches who only received rebuke from our LORD. Are we so focused on the business of church that we do not have room for Christ? Are we the Pharisees in the audience that are blind leaders?

I pray not! I pray that we WAKE UP and stand for truth in a world that is increasingly hostile to the truth, even within the Church.

post signature

1 comment:

Mari said...

Looking forward to these posts. I was just talking to someone else about the way we are so like the Pharisees.