While studying Matthew 23, and the 7 woes which are found there, I remembered the Letters to the 7 Churches in Revelations 2 & 3, and how they somewhat parallel each other. I decided to do a little study of them and do 7 posts, one for each church. Here is this post I want to begin with some of the things that stood out to me as I read these letters. I hope that through these posts you grow in your desire to know and love the Lord more and more each day.
Things that fascinated me about the 7 letters:
- These were written to "The Angel of the church of". I wondered who this would be, would this be an actual angel, or someone earthly. I looked up the definition in Strong's and it said: angel, messenger, envoy, one who is sent, a messenger from God.
- After the introduction of the church, Christ describes himself. It is a different description when speaking to each church.
- He ends each letter with the word "To the one who conquers" and then describes what they will receive.
- Each church receives a commendation and rebuke, except for 2, who only receive a rebuke, and a stiff one at that!
- There are two churches that appear to be suffering churches.
I pray not! I pray that we WAKE UP and stand for truth in a world that is increasingly hostile to the truth, even within the Church.