Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Art of being last.... Part I

Recently a verse struck me profoundly in Romans 12, so I began a study of the chapter. I'm not going to tell you which verse right now, but you can try to figure it out and let me know which one you think started all this!! In reading Romans 12 I was blown away by how our mind is supposed to be wired in fellowship. This will be a 3 part posting.

(I do not know what happened above.  It sincerely doesn't look like this when I go to try edit it.  I'm sorry if it's hard to read!!)

Romans 12: 1-2
Paul begins the chapter by appealing to the brethren (church), to present (to show, Proffer, stand ready) their (our) bodies as living sacrifices, holy and acceptable to God, which was their (our)spiritual worship.
We are to first submit to God as members of the body of Jesus Christ. We are not our own, but have been bought with a price (1 Corinthians 6:18-20). We are not to be conformed (to conform one's self (i.e. one's mind and character) to another's pattern, (fashion one's self according to) to the worlds standards of me first. It says also in 1 Peter 1:14 that we (as obedient children) are not to be conformed to our former lusts, which we had in our ignorance. But we are to be transformed(to change into another form, to transform, to transfigure) by the renewal (complete change for the better, Renovation**I like that one!**) of our minds. In this way, we can test (Prove, scrutinize) what the will of God is, actually what is the good, the acceptable, the perfect will of God (my emphasis).
God's desire for us is to become new (2 Corinthians 5:17). Through the sanctifying (setting apart, making holy) work of the Holy Spirit we are transformed into a better likeness of our heavenly Father. We no longer conform, or copycat the world, but just like a butterfly we become a new creature, with a different purpose, all for the Glory of God!!!
So what is all this saying really?: GOD FIRST ALWAYS!!! Let's get it in proper order, then things will make more since! You can no longer hold unto the things that you thought before coming to Christ. Living sacrifices are just that ~ we are living, and we sacrifice our wills to His will; our mind to His mind, and in this we see His plan that is good, acceptable and perfect!
Questions:
1. We are called to present our bodies as living sacrifices to God, holy and acceptable. What does that mean to you?
2. In order to not be conformed to this world , what is one very important way to renew your mind?
post signature

3 comments:

Mari said...

I read Romans 12 and it's chuck full of good verses! So - I don't know which one struck you but I'll be waiting to hear.
The verses you speak about here are full of truths that really speak to me. The living sacrifices is something I never really liked to concentrate on because I've not felt that I've taken very good care of my body, if I'm to offer it as a sacrifice. It's a constant struggle! As far as renewing my mind, I think the best way is to be giving it proper nourishment, which can be found in the word - not junk food like tv or the computer. As I type this I realize I like junk food in the physical and mental sense, and I need to keep working on both of those!

enthusiastically, dawn said...

Hi Kim, stopping in from the Giving Thanks Challenge! Your name caught my eye as I am a bit of a stone gatherer myself...figuratively and literally! I like your thoughts on Romans. To me presenting my body as a sacrifice , means I wholly surrender/lay down my desires at His feet, trusting He has the best in store for me...despite how the outward circumstances look, or seem. Living with the awareness of Him always is how I keep my mind renewed. Taking in His word. Confessing throughout the day (I have to do that a lot...sad to say!) and thanking Him, praising Him and being available at the drop of a hat for what He may have for me (or take away). STop by when you can I am at Beneath The Surface: Breath of Faith, Hope your Thanksgiving was Rockin'!

Unknown said...

Good study Kim, to me presenting our bodies as a living sacrifice is to submit to the will of God and to be constantly renewing our minds with the Word of God, living for Him in every way we possible can. I'll be waiting to see the verse you have choosen.