Monday, December 8, 2008

Reasons not to let your kids go sledding....

Concussions! Yesterday Steve and the kids went sledding at Union Hill. Now I love Pigeon Creek for sledding; nice medium size hills, and if it isn't busy for safe. Last year my children were introduced to Union Hill in a near by town. It has a big HILL! Well yesterday Bekah and Steve were riding down the big hill, hit a snow embankment at the bottom ( I sure wish I could picture this, why they are sledding towards a parking lot) and both flew off. Soon after they came home Bekah started throwing up. I thought that maybe she had worked herself up so much that she has to TU, but it happened again. She has a pretty good bruise and mark on the left side of her face, so we began to wonder about a concussion. We called the nurse and with the fact that Bekah couldn't remember a couple of things that happened after the accident that she should be seen, so off to Zeeland Hospital we went. SIDE NOTE: Her brother does love her! He was rubbing her back before we dropped him off at Aunt Kam's and he put out a prayer request for her on his facebook! Tender moment to be treasured during coming fights!!! Anyway she TU one more time on the way to the hospital. We weren't there very long about 2 hours. They told us she had a concussion, but most likely mild and just to check on her through the night. As we were leaving she TU again, even after a non-nausea medicine was given, so the doctor thought they should do a cat scan. That came back fine, so we got to leave around 11:00 PM. I woke her up during the night, and asked her a bunch of questions, she seemed fine. She is up now with an upset stomach again! Today may be a long day! Please pray that she will begin to turn the corner, and stop TU, I guess one thing I'm worried about is that she did something to her mid section too. The doctor felt it last night and said she was fine there. I don't understand concussions and maybe this is normal, but I am a mother.

One more very urgent prayer request: Steve's nephew Eric OD'd the other night on drugs. He is still alive and in ICU at an area hospital. His step dad (Steve's brother) says the next 72 hours are critical! I am so praying that God will allow him to live so he will come to know how much his savior loves him! Please pray for healing and for his family. If there is anyone out there that has a child or relative on drugs you so know what this family is enduring.

7 comments:

Zaankali said...

Poor Bekah! Tell her we are praying that she feels better soon.
Jen and Libby

Cheri said...

Poor Bekah and poor you too- I would be worrying too. I am praying she starts feeling better very soon.
I'm praying for Eric too- what a difficult time for all involved.

Mocha with Linda said...

So sorry about Bekah! Hope she gets better soon. And praying that your nephew recovers and that this is a wake-up call to him!

Mari said...

You have a lot going on and we will be praying. I'm thankful her concussion is mild and that she has a brother who wants people to pray for her!

Lori said...

I remember when I got my riding a bike. I only remember the accident by what people have told me. Suddenly I remembered waking up in the middle of the night next to my Mom wondering what happened. I guess the "shock" took the memory away. Praying for your girl and Steve's nephew.

Suzie said...

How's Bekah doing? I hope she's feeling better! Also, is there an update on your nephew? I will certainly keep both of them in my prayers.

Susannah said...

Oh Wow. I will pray. Keep us posted. Hugs, e-Mom