For some that know me this may be a brutally honest post for you. You may wonder "What is going on in Kim's mind these days?" Well so be it. I have been contemplating many things about ministry within a local body for sometime now and am feeling compelled to write about it.
- What do you think ministry looks like within your local church body?
- Is it the same as it was years ago?
- Do you find people rise up to the challenges placed in front of them to serve, or do you find that it is harder to fill volunteer positions?
- Is the church providing to many ministry opportunities?
- Has times changed so much that ministries within the local body have become obsolete?
- Are all the ministries we used to have still utilized?
- Do people still think they are important?
- If there were no longer there, would people care?
- What do people want? What do they feel are important?
- Are we just to busy, or do we need to rethink what we are doing?
- Are we holding on to things because it has always been done, or are they truly important to the faith of our children?
- Would our children be O.K., if one or two of the programs we offer, were no longer available?
- DO PEOPLE CARE?
I look at the church (and in particular the local body I attend) and wonder. Is this what Christ meant by the Church. We are so caught up in programs, and procedure, and recruiting volunteers, and following this lovely book called the BCO (Book of Church Order; that even sounds awful to me!) It seems the leadership gets so caught up in following this book of man made rules and procedures that it just weights down anything Christ could be doing within the church. I often find myself saying "What does Christ think of that: overture, motion, vote, liturgy, process, etc.....? Sometimes I just want to scream!!!!!
Following Christ is so simple really, but we make it so much more complicated!
So where does that leave me? Who knows! Do I step down because I'm not comfortable with church government? Do I speak out against man made government, and ask "Really, is this important in Christ's eyes? Do I remain silent and just minister to the children? So many questions, and so much business that I find I am not listening to God so I can't hear him speak to me!
I don't know if this post made since or not, but I feel better having gotten if off my chest. Please pray that God will open my ears and eyes to His will! When he gave me this call, he gave me this verse:
Whether you turn to the right or to the left,
your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying,
"This is the way; walk in it."
I pray that I will hear him regarding my future work for him now.