Monday, March 23, 2009

God is not ordinary....

Society today wants to bring God down to our level. The main way I am thinking of right now is how often you hear someone say OMG. This is not just those who do not know the Lord, but there are some who are Christians or profess to be Christians that take the Lords name in vain everyday!I have been studying the book of Ezekiel lately and have learned many things. One of the main things I have learned is: GOD PROTECTS HIS NAME! HIS NAME IS HOLY! HE REMEMBERS HIS COVENANTS BECAUSE OF HIS NAME! To think that he takes the saying of His name as ordinary, as O.K. is fooling yourself! I am going to study this further, but I believe the only time his name should pass our lips is when we are crying out to him, praising him, or telling others about him. Do not think that God will excuse your for lack of knowledge!HIS NAME IS HIS NAME!
Listen to what it says in:
Ezekiel 36:21-23
I had concern for my holy name, which the house of Israel profaned among the nations where they had gone. "Therefore say to the house of Israel, 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: It is not for your sake, O house of Israel, that I am going to do these things, but for the sake of my holy name, which you have profaned among the nations where you have gone. I will show the holiness of my great name, which has been profaned among the nations, the name you have profaned among them. Then the nations will know that I am the LORD, declares the Sovereign LORD, when I show myself holy through you before their eyes.

Exodus 7:20 (amplified) says:You shall not use or repeat the name of the Lord your God in vain [that is, lightly or frivolously, in false affirmations or profanely]; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.

Do you honestly think that God is O.K. with you using his name in this way AT ALL! I don't think so!Ignorance is no excuse! If you know God, if you have accepted His Son Jesus Christ, then you need to be honestly seeking Him! He never has made a half hearted effort on your behalf, why do you only give him so little!On the same note but a little different - this verse below talks about unwholesome talk. You may be able to explain away why you speak the language you do, but God has given you instructions. You can choose to follow them, or you can choose to disobey them, but remember God is not mocked! He knows the condition of your heart.
Ephesians 4:29
(amplified)Let no foul or polluting language, nor evil word nor unwholesome or worthless talk [ever] come out of your mouth, but only such [speech] as is good and beneficial to the spiritual progress of others, as is fitting to the need and the occasion, that it may be a blessing and give grace (God's favor) to those who hear it.
Since posting this on facebook the other day God has really worked in my heart! So many places in this post I mentioned YOU! But what about ME?! Why do I do and say that has made God's name ordinary. Just yesterday in church I said "Thank God", but it was not said in a reverent way, but "whoosh, thank God". Immediately he brought to my mind "what did you just say". His name is not his name, but WHO HE IS! I am speaking the essence of who God is when I say his name! WOW, that puts it in a whole different perspective doesn't it! How many times have we all said "thank God" flippantly?
He is YHVH! On this website it describes the name this way:

THE TETRAGRAMMATON

The Sacred Name appears in the Hebrew Scriptures as four Hebrew letters Yud, hey, vav, hey, which is closest represented by the letters YHVH. This format is known as the Tetragrammaton. According to Jewish tradition it is regarded as 'not to be uttered' in order never to profane it in any way. In Judaism it is therefore pronounced as 'Adonai', meaning 'Lord'. Notwithstanding this prohibition, the Sacred Name is acknowledged in its usage as part of the names of many Biblical characters, as referred to above - and as any Bible concordance or reference book will provide.
Every word that comes out of our mouth should be edifying to all who here, but THIS NAME is above all names! We need to treat it as sacred and not as ordinary!
If you claim it, PROCLAIM IT!

11 comments:

Beth in NC said...

I thank God so much that it probably is more of a habit than me using His Name correctly. Ouch to me too!

I pray the Holy Spirit will convict us when we say things that aren't pleasing to Him.

So funny you mentioned this because I heard my sweet little 3 year old say, "Oh my G--" a couple of times this past week. I immediately jumped on her and told her that it hurts God's feelings for us to use His name like that. She apologized and said she wouldn't say it again. I know she picked it up from her friends because we don't say that here.

Thank you for the sweet reminder to watch what comes out of our mouths.

Love,
Beth

All My Blessings said...

I hear you, When I hear this OMG!! it makes my blood boil!!! Kae

Beth Herring said...

Well said and well needed. We have to be very careful of our words. I can't stand to hear someone say OMG, but gosh is just as bad. It is the same thing. Thanks for this reminder of the reverance due God for WHO HE IS!

Beth

Mari said...

I so agree with you!!! We get so frustrated here when we watch Extreme Home makeover. When the people see their houses they repeat it over and over, even people who have said they are christians previously. Great post!

Denise said...

Amen, praise God.

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

Thanks for taking the time to post about this. I am so guilty of using His name flippantly without even realizing it. I've never been one to say OMG (that was as bad as a curse word when I was growing up!), but I do say "Thank God" as a sarcastic statement all too frequently. As in, "The neighbors finally cut their grass. Thank God!"

Thanks for reminding me that His name is holy ALL the time!

Xandra

Praise and Coffee said...

What an awesome and powerful post Kim! I couldn't agree more!
Amen and amen.
He is holy. His name is above all.

Glory to God!
Sue

skywind said...

God in people's hearts.
Health information
Humor & Fun World

Susannah said...

Amen... a good word. I completely agree. God's name is to be honored always. :~D

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I add my amen to all of these comments here.

Lisa Grace said...

I think this was an excellent blog! God's name is a holy name ... thanks for the encouragement/reminder.

~Lisa @ Fields of Grace