Monday, June 29, 2009

We're Back.....

Well the trip to the deep south is over and it's back to the rat race! We had a great time with my sister and her husband. We did alot and traveled over 3600 miles. I don't need to sit in the van for 19 hours again for a very, very long time! Those of you that drive straight through to Florida when you go are much stronger then I!

Anyway I thought I would post a few pictures and let you know a few little ditty's about our trip. Maybe over a few posts. First up, things we tried that you only find in the south:

Because of Linda talking about Chick-fil-a, I told Steve we have to eat there, so here is a picture of Chick-fil-a, and Bekah and I(and champ) outside of Chick-fil-a:








It was already stinkin' hot so we had to keep Champ out of the van when we ate. People probably thought we were nuts eating outside, but hey the dog is king! I even tried the sweet tea. It was good. I remembered that's how I used to drink tea when I was younger.

Next on our trip to NO, my sister said we need to stop at the Cafe du Monde for Coffee and Ben-Yays (I know this is the phonic sound, I can't remember how to spell it!). Ben-yays are square donuts that the dump tons of powdered sugar on. Oh boy were they good!:





Oh it was stinkin' hot there too!! Bekah kept walking in and out of shops just to be in the air conditioning!


On just about every corner in the deep south, we kept seeing a Waffle house! We'll we just couldn't take it any more so on the way home from Pensacola we finally at at a Waffle House! It was very good, and our waiter was a hoot! He was a young man named Donte who just loved to talk. He found out we were from Michigan (ya know because of our accent!) and told us he was born in Saginaw and goes back there now and then. I loved him, he was very funny. He and Jeremiah had a fascinating conversation about Guitar Hero (hummm....) Sorry no picture of Donte:

We did eat at Sonics and Ci Ci's Pizza for the first time too, but I think we now have those up here so they are not uniquely southern.

So there you have it! We start out with food! I do have to add here that while I was down there I didn't gain any weight! That was a big surprise, because my sister had so many snacks and we eat all the time. Steve thinks I sweat it off!


9 comments:

Heidi said...

Looks like you all had a grand time. Seems lots of folks are baaack from vacation, including us! Thanks for sharing yours w/us.
Heidi

Marsha said...

Gotta love Chic-fil-a and Cafe Du Monde's Beignet's! (I only know how to spell it because I just looked in my pantry at the Beignet box mix.)

So glad you had a great time in the south and visit with your sister.

My sister is coming in today for a week. I'm looking forward to our visit.

Blessings.

Cheri said...

I'm so glad you had a great time. I would have DIED in that heat!!
When we went to Tennessee we saw the waffle houses all over too- there really are a million of them down there!
Welcome back!

Mocha with Linda said...

Wow - all the firsts - CFA, Sonic, CiCi's, Waffle House - so glad you had such a culturally expansive vacation! LOL

And no fire or flood disasters?!

Mari said...

Hooray for no gain!
When we went to S. Carolina we saw lots of Waffle Houses too, but never ate there. Glad you had fun. We decided we were too wimpy to live in that heat!

Holly said...

Sounds like fun! I don't think I've ever had sweet tea! :O

Unknown said...

Looks like alot of fun.

Anonymous said...

I personally turn into a bear when I get hot. However, I do love Waffle Houses omelets! Yum! It sounds like you had a great family trip:)

Connie Barris said...

I don't get out much.. but wow.. love your blogsite..

and feel free to use whatever you'd like...

blessings my friend