Monday, February 11, 2008

A little lesson from Daniel!

Since we had the whole day yesterday to veg around the house, due to the fact that all services at our church were cancelled, my kids had an opportunity to catch up on their Inductive Bible Studies. Jeremiah was working on the book of Daniel and was talking to me about how Nebuchadnezzer was pretty full of himself and had a hot temper! So this started a discussion on good ole "Neb" (as I will call him from now on). I told him that soon he will be learning how Neb was taken down quite a few pegs! We then read the 4th chapter of Daniel together so he could see what Neb thought of himself and how God shows Neb who is really in control. You have to read this chapter, if not the whole book of Daniel, it is fabulous! Neb is telling the story in his own words. He's writing to all the people, about the "miraculous signs and wonders that the Most High God has performed for me."
I'll let you read the chapter for yourself, but the short version is: Neb has a dream, Daniel interrupts the dream, Neb does repent, the dream comes true; Neb realizes who's boss, and who is God, and gives him the praise he is due. Here are the verses that just jumped out at me:
28 All this happened to King Nebuchadnezzar. 29 Twelve months later, as the king was walking on the roof of the royal palace of Babylon, 30 he said, "Is not this the great Babylon I have built as the royal residence, by my mighty power and for the glory of my majesty?"
31 The words were still on his lips when a voice came from heaven, "This is what is decreed for you, King Nebuchadnezzar: Your royal authority has been taken from you. 32 You will be driven away from people and will live with the wild animals; you will eat grass like cattle. Seven times will pass by for you until you acknowledge that the Most High is sovereign over the kingdoms of men and gives them to anyone he wishes."

God gave Neb a whole year to repent before his judgement fell! It reminds me of his patience with us.
2 Peter 3:9 says "9The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
and
Romans 9:22-24
What if God, choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction? 23What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory— 24even us, whom he also called, not only from the Jews but also from the Gentiles?
and
Romans 2:4
4Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?

Daniel 4:34 says: "At the end of that time, I, Nebuchadnezzar, raised my eyes toward heaven, and my sanity was restored. Then I praised the Most High; I honored and glorified him who lives forever. His dominion is an eternal dominion; his kingdom endures from generation to generation.
verse 37 says "Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and exalt and glorify the King of heaven, because everything he does is right and all his ways are just. And those who walk in pride he is able to humble.

This just blessed my heart yesterday, and I just wanted to share it with you! Desire to be in His word today! Read it and see the richness of his message to us! There is so much to learn from in His word, there is no end to the lessons, messages, and hope that is found there!

Dig in and be Blessed!

1 comment:

Cheri said...

What a great lesson. That's a great way to spend your day.
I love that you're calling him "Neb"!