Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I AM He, I am He who will sustain you

Last week Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife posted this. I loved the verse she used: Isaiah 33: 5 & 6.

Isaiah 33:5-6 (King James Version)
King James Version (KJV)
5The LORD is exalted; for he dwelleth on high: he hath filled Zion with judgment and righteousness.
6And wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times, and strength of salvation: the fear of the LORD is his treasure.
Sunday in church Pastor Paul mentioned something that got me thinking about what she said. I went to my concordance thinking she had said sustainer (humm... could that have been God directing me?) I knew it was in Isaiah, but couldn't remember where so when I saw Isaiah 46 I went there. WOW! this chapter just spoke to me and I had to share it with all of you! I don't know about you, but with what has been happening in the world financially lately, Steve and I have begun to wonder and maybe worry a little about our retirement. Will it be there! What should we do? Shame on those greedy people who have put us in this position! Can any of you relate? This chapter calmed my fears and again reminded me of who is in control and who has always been in control and always will be in control! Check it out!

Isaiah 46
Gods of Babylon
1 Bel bows down, Nebo stoops low;
their idols are borne by beasts of burden.
The images that are carried about are burdensome,
a burden for the weary.
(Bel and Nebo where Babylonian God's who were carried off to exile after Cyrus (the bird of prey) conquered Babylon). They couldn't save themselves let alone the people who sadly worshipped them!) What are we worshipping that will not, cannot help us?
2 They stoop and bow down together;
unable to rescue the burden,
they themselves go off into captivity.
3 "Listen to me, O house of Jacob,
all you who remain of the house of Israel,
you whom I have upheld since you were conceived,
and have carried since your birth.
4 Even to your old age and gray hairs
I am he, I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you;
I will sustain you and I will rescue you.
(Is that not cool! He reminds them that it was He who was there since you/me/we were conceived, conceived! It is he who carried us, even to our old age (can I hear retirement!) I AM HE, I AM HE, he says that twice! Remember he knows the future! Does this mean we are not to be good stewards and prepare? No, we need to always be good stewards, but we cannot know or control the future. But HE is there! He will sustain! Oh people it gets me so excited to know this, doesn't it you!
5 "To whom will you compare me or count me equal?
To whom will you liken me that we may be compared?
6 Some pour out gold from their bags
and weigh out silver on the scales;
they hire a goldsmith to make it into a god,
and they bow down and worship it.
7 They lift it to their shoulders and carry it;
they set it up in its place, and there it stands.
From that spot it cannot move.
Though one cries out to it, it does not answer;
it cannot save him from his troubles.
(when I read this I think of all of us who put our faith in something other then God! What idol do you worship (put ahead of God) What are you pouring all your strength and time into, looking to it to help you, to no avail?) Then this next part:
8 "Remember this, fix it in mind,
take it to heart, you rebels.
9 Remember the former things, those of long ago;
I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is none like me.
10 I make known the end from the beginning,
from ancient times, what is still to come.
I say: My purpose will stand,
and I will do all that I please.
(See! Why do we always forget?! He was and is and is to come Revelation 1:8 )
11 From the east I summon a bird of prey;
(this is a cool part too! Amy if your reading this is OT history, this points to Cyrus the Great) Isn't that cool! Love the OT!!!!!
from a far-off land, a man to fulfill my purpose.
(God uses both the righteous and the unrighteous in His plans. We need not fear the coming elections! God's man will get in, whomever that is! He has a purpose and it is marching forward!
What I have said, that will I bring about;
what I have planned, that will I do.
12 Listen to me, you stubborn-hearted,
you who are far from righteousness.
13 I am bringing my righteousness near,
it is not far away;
and my salvation will not be delayed.
(doesn't that bring you comfort? It does me! His salvation will not be delayed! He has a timetable and it continues to march forward!) Praise God!!!!!
I will grant salvation to Zion,
my splendor to Israel.
It speaks of Israel here, and it is literal and also pointing to us, who know Christ! We have been adopted as sons and daughters of the Most High God! He has granted us the same salvation!
For those of us in Christ, there is much to celebrate and nothing to fear! Put your hope in Him! If you are reading this and do not know Christ as your personal Savior and Lord I would love to discuss this with you, and pray with you!
Have an absolutely wonderful Day! Seek out his Beauty in Creation in this wonderful Autumn time!
Blessings!!!!!

1 comment:

Mocha with Linda said...

I love the assurance and the wonderful promises of the Old Testament!