Friday, December 14, 2007

"I AM" Study - Lesson 5 - I WAS



I am now unto Lesson 5 of this study. What a great study today! The parts that really spot to me were:

From Paragraph 2 - We are told in the New Testament book of Hebrews that he fled Egypt 'in faith'. Can I suggest to you that sometimes we can be 'in faith' yet be totally bewildered, downcast, confused, and downright demoralized when things do not turn out like we planned? Are there any hands to raise?

Paragraph 4 - The word 'content' in this context is very interesting. It is the Hebrew word "ya'al" (Strong's 2974) and means "to be willing, to show willingness, to be determined, to undertake to do, to make a beginning. It is making up one's mind to commence a given activity. Today we use terms such as 'initiative', or 'motivation'. The word has the nuance of determination and resolve." Now, in comparison to this meaning of 'content', consider another definition NOT used here. It is simply, "to breathe after". Especially the part of to be willing, to be determined.

All of paragraph 5 too!

Here are my Discussion Questions:

1. Have you ever found yourself 'in faith' yet bewildered or demoralized? I never thought it was "in faith" at the time, but definitely when I was younger. Decision I had made outside of God's will had left me feeling ashamed and distant from him.
2. Do you consider yourself content? Would you describe it as Decidedly Content or Dreamily Content? I am most definitely content. There have been degrees to my contentedness. I was decidedly content as a single after the age of 29. Before that I had the old feelings many singles have about wanting to be married. God showed me that I needed to put Him first. I prayed one night that if I'm single for the rest of my life or single until I was 50, he was picking the next man I dated. Now I am dreamily content because of who he brought into my life (Steve), and the life He (God) has given me in Him (God).
3. If you are not content, are there circumstances that keep you from this feeling? The only time I would not feel content is when I let satan bring up my past, and when I allow him to point out my failings.
4. Have you ever found yourself in a place where you looked back on a period of your Christian walk and believed a great opportunity passed you by? Oh yes, but praise be to God I remind myself (He reminds me) of His wonderful plan for my life and that I can use those situations to help others!
5. Do you ever believe your faith was stronger in an earlier time in your Christianity and find yourself floundering now? Nope! Definitely stronger right now.
6. Can you recognize that this season may be one of great preparation instead of a period of "I Was"?
Yes. Even though it is very unpleasant to go through times of valleys, it's in those valleys we further learn our dependence on Christ. Mountaintop experiences are awesome, but you can't always live there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim,
Some things in the past are hard to look back at. But just remember that it was that past that helped form the woman you are today. I know I probably didn't word this just right but hope you get the idea.

Judy

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

Those mountains wouldn't be high if there weren't the lows to compare them to :)

I am so happy you are a part of this study and I love getting to know you through your answers...

Hope you are enjoying this Christmas season! :)

Lisa