Friday, December 28, 2007

Wait!

I am just beginning a study of the Book of Acts. I want to make my Bible study time a time where I am just in the word (with a little help from commentaries). I recently purchased a comparative study Bible with 4 different translations also. Anyway I feel that lately God is showing me the need for me to "Wait" on Him. I was reading the 1st chapter of acts and these verses stood out to me: (This is from the Amplified Bible).
4And while being in their company and eating with them, He commanded them not to leave Jerusalem but to wait for what the Father had promised, Of which [He said] you have heard Me speak. (John 14:16, 26; John 15:26)
14All of these with their minds in full agreement devoted themselves steadfastly to prayer, [waiting together] with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with His brothers.
They waited and prayed. All of them together! This is what the commentary said about it:
"Les us note one other thing. The apostles were enjoined to wait on the coming of the Spirit. We would gain more power and courage and peace if we learned to wait. In the business of life we need to learn to be still (I think I've said that before, especially about Young Children and Worship). "They who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength". (Isaiah 40:31) Amidst life's surging activity there must be time to receive."
Each year I pray that God will help me in all areas, but one where I feel specifically that I need extra help with. ( I hope that made sense. I don't mean it like I'm helping God, etc.. etc..) This year my specific prayer is that He teach me to WAIT on Him!

P.S. Another thing I think is so awesome is Jesus' brothers were there too! During his lifetime they basically were against him. Now they saw him for who he really was and believe! I feel for them too! How they must have felt, knowing they didn't believe he was who he said he was! But in Christ they were forgiven, and became followers of Him. Just a cool side note.

1 comment:

eph2810 said...

Yeah - the waiting is sometimes the really hard part. I know that I have done things before He gave me the green light to go ahead. That usually meant I crashed :)

I really like your last thought. Yes, His brothers didn't believe Him, be He forgave them and sent the Holy Spirit to guide them in the early church. I always liked the Book of Acts - there is much we can learn from it - like His entire word.

Blessings to you and yours.